winter branches

I never saw a discontented tree.
They grip the ground as though they liked it,
and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do.
John Muir
 

This willow tree lives along the pathway I walk every day. It's branches reach out far over the lake. I'm never sure if it is reaching for the water or reaching for the sunshine. It doesn't really matter... it needs both and both come to it. Just the way friends do. And though we are friends, this willow tree and me, I rarely come this close in winter. It's kind of like the neighbours in my cul-de-sac. I rarely speak to them over the winter... maybe a wave here and there. Or a quick conversation while shoveling our driveways. But we may go all winter without really talking to each other. Kind of sad, actually. But Summer is a different story. In the Summer we have all the time in the world to chat. And so it is with this willow tree. I sit beneath it's branches all Summer long, reading or just watching the fish jump.

Today I missed my friend, so I climbed up it's trunk and onto this branch and stayed awhile. It is so very welcoming and familiar here. I must do it more often.