loss

 When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,
and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that
which has been your delight.
Khalil Gibran
We lost a dear friend of ours just over a week ago now. He was killed suddenly, in a tragic accident on an icy highway in northern Canada. At only 44 years of age, he left behind a son, a daughter, a beautiful wife, family, and countless friends. And my heart hurts.

I don't know if I will ever understand why things like this happen, but deep down I know that it is just a part of life, so I seldom try to understand. Death is a part of life... we all experience loss. And the older I get and the more people I lose, the more I search for the comfort of those I still have with me. The more I hold on tight to fleeting moments with them. And the more I cherish their very souls, and the light they bring to me. 
Good-bye old friend. I will think of you every time I drive through these mountains, for I know you loved riding your bike through them. I know you found comfort and happiness within their embrace, as do I. And I will always remember you there. Love.