the leaving of winter

You can tell when you make that turn towards Spring in Canada. The feel of the breeze on your skin is different. And the scent of the pine trees is strong.

On my walk yesterday, the sun shone through the branches of the poplars and willows, sending warmth to my face. I stepped through puddle after puddle of melting snow, leaving a trail of boot prints behind me on the path. The birds sang love songs to me, and the bunnies and squirrels watched me as I passed. As I came too close to one them, he scurried up a near by tree knocking loose a pine cone that fell to the ground and rolled to my feet.

There's still snow on the lake... and snow on the toboggan hill. Tomorrow most will be gone. The leaving of winter is always quick it seems.  So we will stay out until the sun falls behind the hill, and enjoy these final few days. Spring... it is coming.