sweet november

"The wild gander leads his flock through the cool night,
Ya-honk! he says, and sounds it down to me like an invitation:
The pert may suppose it meaningless, but I listen closer,
I find its purpose and place up there toward the November sky."
~
Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, 1855, I Celebrate Myself, Line 238~
Ah November... welcome.

The busyness of October is behind us now (birthdays, Thanksgiving, Halloween), and now we fall slowly into sweet November. The trees are mostly bare here now, the air is heavy around me, and I can feel the cold coming. I am filled with a calmness.

November is quiet... a time to breath again... a time to burn fires in the fireplace... a time for hearty meals and hot tea in the evening... a time for family and home. The November sky is beautiful.

And as the flock of geese fly by, I think for just a moment, 'wouldn't it be nice to go with them'.  But no, this is where I want to be this time of year. Right here.

Talk to me again in January when we are minus 30 and snow up to my windows. :)