Saturday, August 20, 2011

love grows best in little houses

We live in a little house. Not tiny... but small compared to many people we know. We bought this house in 2002, when we had been married only 5 months. We were still newlyweds with our whole lives ahead of us, and we filled this little house with our hopes and dreams for the future. The following year one of those dreams came true and our little boy was born. We brought him home from the hospital to this little house. I spent many nights sitting in the old rocker in the living room, holding my baby tight in my arms while he floated off to dreamland. His bedroom is right across the hall from our bedroom, and at night I could hear him move in his crib and babble in his sleep. No monitor needed in this little house. This is the only home my son has ever known.
He is getting so big.

As the years have gone by we have filled this little house with memories of our family: birthday parties, Christmas gatherings, Sunday morning breakfasts, and everyday life. This small house has served us well over the years. We've had good times here, and not so good times. But those good times far outnumber the others.

Lately we've been considering moving into a larger house. Our business is doing well and it would be the perfect time to make the change. We went looking at show homes the other day. The homes were beautiful... big and shiny and new. Each member of our family could have their own floor in most of the houses we saw. I began picturing our family living in one of these big houses. I left the show home with a feeling of longing.. of wanting.
View out our kitchen window.

We arrived back to our little house somewhat late. J had fallen asleep in the back seat so my husband picked him up and carried him inside. We walked into the cramped foyer and up the narrow stairs to my son's room, then gently snuggled him under the covers in his bed. My husband left and I just stood there for a moment. I watched my boy sleep for awhile... I looked around his room... then out into the hallway and starred down to the end of it. From this vantage point I could literally see from one end of the house to the other. The memories of all of the wonderful times we had in this house started coming back to me as if flood gates had opened in my mind. I could feel the love that flowed through these tiny hallways and little rooms. And I smiled and remembered a song from years ago.

...love grows best in little houses,
With fewer walls to separate,
Where you eat and sleep so close together.
You can't help but communicate,
Oh, and if we had more room between us, think of all we'd miss.
Love grows best, in houses just like this.


This song by Doug Stone played softly through my head and I thought to myself... he's right.

As much as I loved those big, beautiful houses, I think we are going to stay put in our little house. At least for now.