an october walk

Walks in October seem to be just a little more special than walks in other months of the year. I'm not sure why... maybe it's that chill in the air that raises goose bumps on your arms and makes you close just one more button on your sweater. It rolls over your body like waves on the sand... and it makes you feel alive.
 And it makes me remember, just like last year and the year before and all the years that have passed... the end of 'this' is near. The green grasses will soon be brown... the red and yellow and orange leaves will soon all be fallen leaving naked trees behind... and the tiny brook that runs so free around my house will soon be frozen solid.
 I can't help but think about it as I walk... I try to stay in the moment, but sometimes these thoughts just enter my mind. I try and force them away, but how can you force away what you know is true. Autumn is so very short here in this northern town. While so many of you have barely begun the change of season... we are almost at the end
 But that is life... and so I try hard to stay in the moment. I walk and the leaves cushion my every step... I hear birds singing and squirrels chirping... I look and see mr. brown rabbit hopping by. I will still see him this Winter...only his coat will then be white as snow. I wonder... will I still know him?